MUSIC PRODUCTION LESSONS IN UTRECHT
Learn how to record, edit, arrange, mix, and perform live music. You only need a laptop!
Does it happen to you that new melodies or rhythms come into your mind? Have you ever thought about putting them together and create a song of your own? Well, we can help you with that. Let’s get creative and make your own music, or setup your DJ session and surprise your friends in the next party.
The music producer is a sort of neo-composer
The ultimate music creator, ready to make you feel emotions through the complex vibrations that music makes. A producer takes care of a lot of details in the creative process, from recording to adding effects, managing the budget, and other necessary aspects to turn a musical idea into something real, and -if wanted- professional. Basically, a music producer uses the existing technology for their own benefit. Nowadays, we do not need a full band or orchestra to hear our music (although it is nice too). We can let our imagination flow and create new sounds that we didn’t know were possible to make.
Open-mindedness and different music genres
Diversity is a word that goes together with music, especially speaking about musical genres and styles. So, one of the sources of our inspiration is to get to know and to learn from different styles, creating, and experimenting with music from the early period until the most avant-garde styles. We like to explore music with our students in a fun process, growing, improving, and discovering new ways of making music together.
What do I need to get started?
You only need a computer, a pair of headphones, and a DAW (digital audio workstation software) to achieve all this. Audio interfaces, microphones, MIDI controllers, studio monitors, and synthesizers are pieces of gear that help greatly when delving more into music production in the future.
You will find that most of DAWs are pricey, specially for beginners. However, Lite versions are very affordable and some of those DAWs are free to use.
When producing a music track, the main steps of the production process are:
- Songwriting/composing: When your first idea is born. This is the moment of deciding how you want to develop your musical ideas by structuring and harmonising it.
- Arranging and sound design: Now, it’s the moment to make choices regarding instruments, timbres, and how they interact with each other. By this step, the song is finished and anyone should be able to record it.
- Recording/Editing: Let’s first record all the instruments with the maximum quality and delve into the technical aspects and fine-tune the small details of the track.
- Mixing: Once the song is fully recorded, every single track needs to be properly mixed and in balance with the others like when adding spices to our best pasta bolognese.
- Mastering: The song is ready and we want to release it, but wait, it still does not sound like those hits on Spotify… Worry not! During the mastering process, we will make sure that the song reaches the industry standards and its sound blasts as much as any other track in the market.
- Promotion: Writing a song is nice but having more people listening to it, sharing it, and loving it is something you will love.
- Performance: Do you want to do live electronics with your track? Perhaps have a band play it? Or do you prefer to add it to a DJ session? Let’s explore these options and work on your performance skills.
Learning music production opens up a toolbox of endless possibilities for any musician
And nowadays, the only thing you need is a computer in order to be able to produce your own track. Also, this is an opportunity to understand the physics of the sound and, in general, the essence of creating music. For sure, after delving into electronics you will be more aware of all the sounds that surround you in your daily life and how they are designed!
Collaborations and community
Making music alone is fun, but doing it with people brings it to the next level! If you like the idea, we will bring you together with other fellow students, from music production or from other instruments you might want to record into your tracks. A live electronics jam session with acoustic instruments is amazing!
When and where
I offer flexibility in my schedule so your music production lessons fit into your agenda. I can come to your place, or perhaps you prefer visiting my teaching space in Utrecht. I will have some coffee or tea waiting for you.
Online music production classes
I also offer fun, comprehensive, and motivating online lessons. Live feedback and instructions. Book a trial lesson now!
Alberto Pérez, one of the most eclectic and open-minded music producers based in Utrecht
I am a music producer, brass performer, and teacher that has performed in classical and modern music ensembles for more than 15 years. During this time, I attended innumerable masterclasses and had great fun in various professional experiences such as performing at Tomorrowland, an avant-garde music festival in Malta, or the great symphonic masterpieces with symphonic orchestras in Spain and the Netherlands.
I hold a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in music performance and a master’s degree in music education during my official studies in Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands.
Nowadays, you can still find me teaching in the Utrecht area, composing and producing my own music at home, playing tuba with a symphonic orchestra, trombone in a reggae band, or improvising trumpet over a techno track.
WE LOVE TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH OUR PEOPLE